Words of encouragement, on a sunny day
I haven't always been a confident person. Even now there are times when the world seems so big, so cruel and the thoughts of the ignorant lights flames that respect and tolerance too find hard to diminish. Nowadays I can gather my self confidence by often repeating to myself at times when I find myself doubting myself, for instance when I, usually, overdress for any occasion: people are going to judge me, regardless of what I do, there will always be someone who dislikes me for some reason that I cannot possibly change, so why not let them judge the best version of myself, the version that I take pride in. If I want to wear makeup or a fancy dress even for lectures, so be it. This way of thinking, is certainly something that grows over time - as a child I was apologetic for who I was, where I came from, what I look like. And for what? Some gratification from the other kids? To blend in? Stupidity. I have to thank my parents for my strength. Til this day, and probably to the day I die, my parents will forever be the guiding light, we have our fights but nothing can squash the determination they had. To move to a new country, all to better their children's lives, at the ridicule of others. They are the bravest people I know, and I know now that to live a life where I am afraid to be myself is the biggest disservice to everything they have done for me. Now, I realise this isn't a poem, a rather long narrative and I appreciate if you don't read this. But as I look out my university accommodation window, I'm filled with gratitude and appreciation for my family and my friends, call this my remedy for home sickness.
Comments
Post a Comment